Penne with Tomato, Spinach, and Sausage
The flavors of this penne and sausage pasta dish combine perfectly. Enjoy with your favorite red wine!
- 1 pound of penne
- 1 pound of sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 cans (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons of grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring pot of water to a boil and cook penne.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large deep skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, then crumble sausage and add into skillet as well. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until sausage is browned.
- Drain excess oil, then add diced tomatoes, spinach, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta and lightly stir into skillet for 1-2 minutes
- Remove from heat. Stir in mozzarella and grated pecorino romano cheese.
- Serve in bowl. Enjoy this Penne with Tomato, Sausage, and Spinach recipe!