Oven Roasted Tomato and Spinach Salad
This Oven Roasted Tomato and Spinach Salad recipe has the flavors and colors of Italy! Serve al fresco with a full bodied red.
- 4 Cups Fresh Baby Spinach
- 9 – 11 Campari Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Port Wine
- 5 ounces Fresh Mozzarella
- 1 Teaspoon Lime Juice (fresh or otherwise)
- 3 Teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 Large Basil Leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Cut tomatoes lengthwise into 1/4″ thick slices (not into wedges)
- Toss tomatoes in a bowl with the wine, allowing to soak for 3-5 minutes. In the interim prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil (or spray with cooking spray)
- Pour tomatoes and wine out onto baking sheet, arranging into a single layer and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- After baking allow tomatoes to cool to room temperature. Pour baby spinach into a bowl. Toss first with lime juice (this step is important, if the spinach leaves are not tossed with the lime juice first they will not hold the flavor). Then, toss with 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Chop mozzarella into bite size pieces. Chiffonade basil leaves (stack leaves, roll lengthwise tightly, then cut into thin strands, cutting from tip to stem)
- Combine tomatoes, mozzarella and basil leaves with the lightly dressed spinach leaves, tossing lightly. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the Oven Roasted Tomato and Spinach Salad chilled or at room temperature. Buon Appetito!